The 237 reasons why women have sex

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MissMon
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: The 237 reasons why women have sex   November 6th 2009, 6:34 am

Quote :
Why do women have sex? More than a thousand interviews worldwide by a US research team unearthed 237 different reasons.

Reasons include having sex to impress their friends, to relieve period pain, punish a cheating partner, give someone they hate a sexually transmitted disease, love, to "get closer to God" and to keep a distracted partner interested.

The study was conducted by clinical psychologist Cindy Meston and David Buss, an evolutionary psychologist. Their findings have been turned into a book soon to be released in Australia, Why Women Have Sex.

Meston and Buss interviewed 1,006 women from all over the world about their sexual motivation, and identified 237 different reasons why women will have sex, "that covered an astonishing variety of psychological nuance."

They write: "Some women have sex to feel powerful, others to debase themselves. Some want to impress their friends, others want to harm their enemies."

Some women reported having sex to "fill a void" or gain love that they did not feel when they were growing up.

Other women had sex to raise self-esteem, finding it a balm after a bad breakup. Said one 19 year-old respondent: "it helps me feel better about myself, particularly if the person left me for someone else."

Some women had sex to get rid of migraines, as a stress reliever, to beat depression or to burn calories.

Others had sex because they were raped or dominated, while some woman loved the dominance that came with initiating sex and "demonstrating power" in the bedroom.

The researchers found that there was a strong connection between sex and love. "Most women seek some kind of emotional connection or emotional involvement with a man before consenting to sex. From an evolutionary perspective, this is emotional wisdom women have inherited from successful maternal ancestors," write the pair.

They say a man's emotional involvement provides powerful signals that he'll stick around for "richer or poorer."

The data was collected in online surveys and in lab tests. Ninety-three percent of the women surveyed were heterosexual, while the age range was between 18 and 86.

First contact

One of the tests assessing initial attraction proved that eye contact was the first step to the bedroom.

The study found proximity was an important factor of sexual attraction — but not necessarily too much contact. One study they conducted found that a brief series of face-to-face contacts of 35 seconds without even talking to the person increased positive responses.

The study found the effect of mutual eye gazing was important and "proved powerful."

"Many reported that deep eye contact with an opposite sex stranger created feelings of intense love," according to the book.

So powerful was eye-contact that participants reported being very attracted to their study partners — and two participants who were strangers even got married.

The study also said an element of mystery was a turn-on for women. Their research found that too much familiarity can backfire — and "positive traits can become annoying ... some men who were once funny and fun become 'embarrassing in public' and [some men who were] 'successful and focussed' become 'workaholic'."

One survey respondent wrote: "Mystery stokes attraction — familiarity can quash it."

Smells like business time

The study found one of the strongest ingredients of sex appeal was "women's acute sense of smell."

Researchers at Brown University back this up in a separate study, finding that women rate how someone smells as the most important sense in choosing a lover — with sight coming second.

The Meston/Buss study also found that a person's mood at the time of the initial encounter is an important factor in determining attraction as "positive feelings lead to positive evaluation."

They say anyone present when negative feelings are aroused tends to be disliked as a consequence — hence many women's wish to mate with someone who has a good sense of humour.

They also found women like men that have been "pre-approved" by other women. They respond better to pictures of men standing surrounded by other women than men surrounded by other men, or a man standing alone.

The more attractive the other women in the photos were, the sexier the women found the men.

Turn offs

The largest turnoff for women was poor hygiene. Interestingly, the research found changes in body shape such as weight gain can elicit a complex response.

Sometimes, if over time one partner gains weight, they feel less competitive in the sexual market which means they are more likely to stay with their current partner — and thus be more secure.

The study found the sex drives of women also decrease in tandem with the length of their relationships – so the longer a woman was with her partner the less likely they were to have sex with each other.

Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: The 237 reasons why women have sex   November 6th 2009, 7:25 am

quote' The study found the sex drives of women also decrease in tandem with the length of their relationships – so the longer a woman was with her partner the less likely they were to have sex with each other.' LMAO SO TRUE!
was with danny 3 1/2 yrs n barely ever went near him near the end LMAO!!!!!!!
with brian n its at least 3 times a week :/ used to be alot more but more pregnant i get less energy i have
haha that article is funny!!!! im gonna buy that book when it comes out its actually quite interesting!!!!!!

ok girls give me reasons why u have sex with your partner/expartners etc

Back to top Go down
chels03
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: The 237 reasons why women have sex   November 6th 2009, 7:26 am

my number 1 reason is so brian stops sooking LMAO

Back to top Go down
MissMon
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The 237 reasons why women have sex   November 6th 2009, 9:34 am

chels03 wrote:
my number 1 reason is so brian stops sooking LMAO

Mine too - B chucks tanties if he doesn't get it when he wants it. I give in just to stop them! Laughing

Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: The 237 reasons why women have sex   November 6th 2009, 10:43 am

he doesnt so much chuck tanties just annoys me until i give in! easier to just give in n get back to whatever i was doing before hand then try n fight off a wild dog LMAO

Back to top Go down
~*sharon~*
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The 237 reasons why women have sex   November 6th 2009, 12:56 pm

Wow and i thought it was only Nathan that sooked when he didn't get it Laughing
Back to top Go down
seth_an_tylers_mum
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: The 237 reasons why women have sex   November 6th 2009, 1:22 pm

Sex whats that
Back to top Go down
chels03
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: The 237 reasons why women have sex   November 7th 2009, 6:20 am

~*sharon~* wrote:
Wow and i thought it was only Nathan that sooked when he didn't get it Laughing

LMAO!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 237 reasons why women have sex   

Back to top Go down

The 237 reasons why women have sex
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1