View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MissMon
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: NSW child seat laws risk lives: Volvo   January 23rd 2010, 3:23 am

Quote :

07:29 AEST Sat Jan 23 2010

Car maker Volvo says new NSW child seat laws could cost lives or increase serious injuries to children involved in a car crash.

Drawing on data from independent crash tests and investigations of more than 4,500 crashes involving children, Volvo, known for its safety innovation, says allowing children as young as six months to face forward could lead to serious injuries and death due to the forces on the head and neck in an impact.

Volvo safety experts also say the NSW requirement, to be introduced on March 1, to keep children in a booster seat until they are seven should be extended to the age of 10 to ensure the correct positioning of the car's seatbelt across the child's body, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.

"The recommendation of turning forward-facing is wrong, according to our research and knowledge," said Lotta Jakobsen, the technical leader, biomechanics, injury and accident prevention analysis at Volvo Car Safety Centre.

Volvo says the head of a newborn baby accounts for almost half its body weight and that a child's neck muscles and ligaments cannot support the head in the event of an impact until at least four years of age. It says a 50km/h crash can exert a 100kg force on the head of a six-month-old baby.

Ms Jakobsen said rear-facing child seats are five times safer for those aged under four.

"Kids should go rearward-facing until three to four years," she said, adding that most serious crashes are frontal.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/1003148/nsw-child-seat-laws-risk-lives-volvo

Back to top Go down
seth_an_tylers_mum
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: NSW child seat laws risk lives: Volvo   January 23rd 2010, 4:04 am

LMAO how r they gonna get rear facing car seats for up to 4 yr olds, they'd be bored shitless and wouldnt be able to see anything and we wouldnt be able to see what they were doing
Back to top Go down
chels03
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: NSW child seat laws risk lives: Volvo   January 23rd 2010, 12:46 pm

i could NOT imagine bella in a seat facing backwards! maybe if my seat stopped before her legs touched em! all she would do is crack the shits! not to mention get bloody car sick

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NSW child seat laws risk lives: Volvo   January 23rd 2010, 2:24 pm

i was thinking same thing
theres no way i could put cart rear facing, he'd freak
plus once on solids rearward facing can cause motion sickness, not something id want to encourage
Back to top Go down
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: NSW child seat laws risk lives: Volvo   January 23rd 2010, 2:27 pm

i would have to agree with u guys. that is beyond a joke. Brianna is the size of a 4 - 5 yr old and i couldnt get her into a rear facing seat. Booster seats for 10 yr olds is crazy too. Skye is 10 and nope i wouldnt put her in one
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NSW child seat laws risk lives: Volvo   

Back to top Go down

NSW child seat laws risk lives: Volvo
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1