View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
~*Kat*~
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Aboriginal-dancing Russians   February 22nd 2010, 8:22 am

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=1015663
Quote :
Canada's Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir surged to the Olympic ice dancing lead as world champions Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin's controversial Aboriginal-themed original dance failed to impress in Vancouver.

A dramatic Spanish Flamenco allowed Virtue and Moir to overtake the Russians who had been leading after the compulsory dance, with the three-time Canadian champions scoring 68.41 points for the programme and 111.15 overall.

The Canadians opened up a 2.60-point advantage on US champions Meryl Davis and Charlie White, who moved into second with their crowd-pleasing Bollywood-themed Indian Dance.

The Americans scored 67.08 for the original dance and 108.55 overall

The Russians toned down their controversial costumes which had offended Australian Aboriginal elders during the European championships.

They lightened their dark bodysuits, cut back on some of the white swirls, although they stuck with their red loin cloths and threw in a few more eucalyptus-style leaves.

But it didn't go down well enough with the judges.

Domnina and Shabalin scored just 62.84 leaving them with an overall 106.60 and putting them 4.55 points behind the leaders in third position going into Monday's free dance final.

"We heard some opinions about it being offensive, and we tried to do it lighter," explained Shabalin.

"We changed it a little bit to make it more authentic and less theatrical.

"We changed our routine about five to 10 percent, but we always do this after every competition to try and improve.

"Our whole intention when we chose this music was to be fair and friendly, we didn't want to offend anyone,"

He said they had made the changes after their coach Natalia Linichuk did a bit more research.

"Natalia had a lot of research with people who know this culture. We did big research in the beginning of the season."

He added: "You can't be 100 percent authentic."

Virtue was delighted with their performance as they bid for Canada's first ice dancing gold.

"It felt amazing," said Virtue. "We just stayed in the moment every step. We were actually quite relaxed. We feel like all of Canada is on the ice with us."

Moir said: "We do like our chances. Meryl and Charlie and us - we're part of the new ice dance system, and that's the way it should be."

Olympic silver medallists Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto are in fourth position.

Russia look set to leave Vancouver without a figure skating title for the first time in 50 years with Domnina and Shabalin having a large gap to make up going into the final round of three.

Teams from Russia or the former Soviet Union have won all but two of the Olympic ice dancing titles since it was introduced to the Olympics in 1976.

Di anyone see this?? There is a video clip on the link
I did see this performed and it was appauling IMO
I am interested to see what others think
Back to top Go down
~*Kat*~
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Aboriginal-dancing Russians   February 22nd 2010, 1:47 pm

noone seen it??
Back to top Go down
Tammy
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Aboriginal-dancing Russians   February 23rd 2010, 12:34 am

I caught this on the news last night!
I can not understand how they thought this was ok! What in the world do a Russian couple have to do with an Australian Aboriginal dance complete with eucalyptus leaves?!
Back to top Go down
seth_an_tylers_mum
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Aboriginal-dancing Russians   February 23rd 2010, 4:40 am

i saw it last night and think they looked stupid. but after that round they dropped back to 3rd, the american team did an Indian themed dance and OMG it was good

Apparently when they first did this routine they wore black body suits and i think thats what may have caused all the hype. personally i dont really care its ice dancing its nothing thats really gonna cause alot of harm
Back to top Go down
~*Kat*~
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Aboriginal-dancing Russians   February 23rd 2010, 7:38 am

I dont think it would cause harm but I do understand why people would be offended
I watch it very closely as its a big interest of mine and the female was patting her mouth like an indian at 1 point and the guy kept pulling her hair and quiet frankly it bugged me cos aboriginals r not cave men and women they really didn't research it well enough
and the costumes were just wrong
Back to top Go down
chels03
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Aboriginal-dancing Russians   February 23rd 2010, 8:30 am

what the ? i posted well at least i thought i did LOL!
anyways i said i havent seen it sorry kat Sad

Back to top Go down
seth_an_tylers_mum
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Aboriginal-dancing Russians   February 23rd 2010, 8:55 am

i dont think they properly researched it , the costume was strange and the moves that they were doing had little to do with the aboriginal stlye of dancing and the music was not aboriginal in any way apart from that few seconds of digeredoo (sp) and tapping sticks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z98n_CK66Qc&feature=player_embedded

for those who missed it this is the one that started all the hype, for the one they did at the olympics they used lighter coloured body suits
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aboriginal-dancing Russians   

Back to top Go down

Aboriginal-dancing Russians
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1