Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

Swearers face instant $100 fines in Queensland

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Swearers face instant $100 fines in Queensland   June 16th 2010, 3:22 am

Police will be given the power to issue $100 on-the-spot fines for swearing in public under controversial new legislation in Queensland.

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh said the new laws, which also give police new powers to issue on-the-spot fines for public urination and disorderly conduct, would increase efficiency and save time.

She said that keeping minor offenders out of the courts would save the state between $18 million and $30 million, the Courier Mail reports.

But the new legislation, which will be introduced to parliament later this year, has drawn criticism from researchers.

An evaluation conducted by Griffith University said that the on-the-spot powers meant police would issue tickets in situations that would not be considered criminal before the courts.

The findings came from a review of data from a one-year trial of the reforms in South Brisbane and Townsville.

The NSW Ombudsman and Queensland Council of Civil Liberties have also expressed concern that offensive language fines could be issued in cases where they are not warranted.

But Police Minister Neil Roberts told the newspaper that inappropriate behaviour in public was not acceptable and would not be tolerated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Swearers face instant $100 fines in Queensland   June 16th 2010, 3:31 am

this should be interesting.

i find that the generation of today (The current teens), use the f word in normal conversation. Like swearing is part of normal conversation iykwim.

I've cut my swearing down a lot, and have to make up words or not say anything at all as kayla is a parrot.
Back to top Go down
~*sharon~*
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Swearers face instant $100 fines in Queensland   June 16th 2010, 4:45 am

Not a bad idea might stop the teenagers and other swearers that do it out the front of shops when walking passed with children makes me cranky

Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Swearers face instant $100 fines in Queensland   June 16th 2010, 6:45 am

would be interesting to see how much the police actually police it in a place like where i live. They basically have no power up here in situations
Back to top Go down
MissMon
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Swearers face instant $100 fines in Queensland   June 16th 2010, 2:07 pm

Thumbs up to this I reckon!!

I hate nothing more then walking past people or people walking past us & they are swearing their heads off! Master B repeats what they say, but Miss J knows it is all naughty words & tells me that they are naughty for saying it.
I myself was a realllllllllllllllly bad swearer "back in the day", but I don't swear no where near as much as I used to!

Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Swearers face instant $100 fines in Queensland   June 16th 2010, 2:10 pm

i think its a good thing but in my opinion just another revenue raiser. with the amount of swearing that goes on in some peoples normal conversations coppers r gonna be out with carpel tunnel and repetitive stress injuries
Back to top Go down
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Swearers face instant $100 fines in Queensland   June 16th 2010, 2:24 pm

it is a good law but really how are they going to police it? Honestly people swear ALL the time so how will they controle it? What words wil be covered will it be just F or C or all the claimed swear words? and in a town like mine what is really the point? When they send a couple of people home in a taxi just after they smash a phone box in. And a street brawl that involves more then 30 people and the cops sit in their car making sure they do go home yet make no arrests
Back to top Go down
~*sharon~*
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Swearers face instant $100 fines in Queensland   June 17th 2010, 3:27 am

Remind me to not visit you Kim doesn't sound like a very safe place lol

Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Swearers face instant $100 fines in Queensland   June 17th 2010, 9:04 am

hahaha just the street i live on. Is normally safe but people like to party crawl and that weekend i had three parties around me and they got out of hand. JOY
Back to top Go down
chels03
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Swearers face instant $100 fines in Queensland   June 18th 2010, 7:55 am

I swear alot but good luck to this i reckon! I think its a load of C***!
Honestly im sure they could police alot more serious crimes then swearing! God my mum did the swearing jar with me and it didnt work if anything i did it more! I just honestly think its pointless! Specially when so much is happening around the world atm that they are doing NOTHING about!

Back to top Go down
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Swearers face instant $100 fines in Queensland   June 18th 2010, 8:34 am

chels it is stupid and pointless. There is so much more they could be doing something about
Back to top Go down
seth_an_tylers_mum
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Swearers face instant $100 fines in Queensland   June 18th 2010, 8:55 am

i agree ladies they are far more serious crimes.

and as i heard on the radio yesterday morning check your dictionary most of these "swear" words are in it so r they trying to make some of the english language illegal and is it the same for other language ie french, german, chinese . if they swear in their native tongue r they gonna receive the same fines
Back to top Go down
kaz901
Fabulous Member
Fabulous Member

PostSubject: Re: Swearers face instant $100 fines in Queensland   June 18th 2010, 11:08 am

chels03 wrote:
I swear alot but good luck to this i reckon! I think its a load of C***!
Honestly im sure they could police alot more serious crimes then swearing! God my mum did the swearing jar with me and it didnt work if anything i did it more! I just honestly think its pointless! Specially when so much is happening around the world atm that they are doing NOTHING about!

I agree with you on this, I think they could be penalising alot more things. Sounds similar to the old jaywalking law. Personally i just think it is so the police can just charge someone who tells them to "f" off.

With freedom of speech, who are they to say who can swear and not swear. No i dont like swearing and i think its a bit trashy if people dont have a large enough vocabulary that they have to use it in every sentence. But on the otherhand, i dont think it is right to fine people for.

where does it end otherwise?
Back to top Go down
kaz901
Fabulous Member
Fabulous Member

PostSubject: Re: Swearers face instant $100 fines in Queensland   June 18th 2010, 11:09 am

and so that people dont think im picking on those that do swear - yes i do swear too, but i try to limit it around the kids Smile
Back to top Go down
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Swearers face instant $100 fines in Queensland   June 18th 2010, 1:11 pm

yeh it would be made a law so the cops dont get told to "F" off all the time. and yeh i thought the j walking one was just as crap
Back to top Go down
chels03
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Swearers face instant $100 fines in Queensland   June 19th 2010, 3:42 am

they are stupid crimes! I swear alot but barely around my kids! I dont swear just because i can nor do i do it in every sentence but seriously! so what do they police their families too? im sure their kids swear and thier wives and husbands? THEY are MEANT to fine them if they are caught doing something wrong! but bet they wont!
J walking is pathetic too in my opinion! Yes its unsafe to cross somewhere you shouldnt be etc but come on! A guy in town here got fined for it and the cop missed out on fining some idiot skidding around the corner who almost RAN OVER pedistrians because he was to busy telling some young dude off for walking when he wasnt meant to be! just stupid imo

Back to top Go down
kaz901
Fabulous Member
Fabulous Member

PostSubject: Re: Swearers face instant $100 fines in Queensland   June 19th 2010, 12:52 pm

I agree, sometimes the actual pedestrian crossings are worse position than the jay walking is. I think it is just revenue raising at its best and a tosser law, so that you just dont walk away from them and tell them to "f" off while your at it. Some police can be real knobs sometimes and pick on you just because they dont like the look of you and the power goes to their head. Are they going to fine all the international tourists that travel around too? that would be interesting especialy in the big tourist areas.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swearers face instant $100 fines in Queensland   

Back to top Go down

Swearers face instant $100 fines in Queensland
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Families First :: GENERAL DISCUSSION :: The News Desk-
Jump to: