Share | 

Truckie avoids jail after killing boys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 23rd 2010, 10:44 am

A truck driver who ran a red light and crashed into a car, killing two children, has escaped a jail term.

Brett Janson, 40, ran a red light when he crashed his truck into a car at Lynbrook in 2008, killing six-year-old Jeton Kulafovski and nine-year-old Lyton Mustafovski as well as injuring three others.

In sentencing, Victorian County Court Judge Felicity Hampel said the case was distressing for all involved and was brought about by a short period of inattention from Janson.

She sentenced him to a three-year wholly suspended jail term and a two-year community-based order with 250 hours of community work.

Lyton’s father Kabash Mefaili lashed out following the verdict, telling reporters it was "f---ing crap", the Herald Sun reported.

The judge said Janson was deeply remorseful and the impact the crash had on him was profound.

She said the Crown's request that he receive a maximum jail term of six to eight years was not warranted in the circumstances.

Janson pleaded guilty to two counts of dangerous driving causing death and three of dangerous driving causing serious injury.

He has been banned from driving for two years.

Back to top Go down
~*sharon~*
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 23rd 2010, 11:02 am

If the light had been red for a while then I think yes what an idiot and he should have got more then he did

If the light had only just changed and he had a loaded trailer on the back maybe it was a accident? not easy to pull up a truck with loaded trailer they weigh heaps

Poor kids very sad Sad

Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 23rd 2010, 11:05 am

very sad and sharon i agree. If the light had only just changed adn he had a full load then he would of struggled to pull up but if was changed for awhile then yes he did something very wrong
Back to top Go down
seth_an_tylers_mum
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 23rd 2010, 11:21 am

i agree on that i know its not easy to pull a truck up.

Back to top Go down
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 23rd 2010, 11:50 am

the poor family involved though
Back to top Go down
mummaof3andahalf
Fabulous Member
Fabulous Member

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 23rd 2010, 12:16 pm

trucks shouldnt be trying to get thrugh a orange light if they know they have a full load and wouldnt be able to stop at a red light its not a hurry up light. he should have gotten a jail term he still took 2 young lives.
Back to top Go down
~*sharon~*
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 23rd 2010, 12:17 pm

Yeah very sad for the family

Nathan's worst fear is to hit a car with kids in it when he is in the truck the accidents he has witnessed and been first at the scene over the last 7 years that he has been truck driving not good !!

He had a lady a few months ago go under his trailer another car had pushed it over he did well not to kill her or himself he was airborne in that one he has had 3 accidents now and none have been his fault

Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 23rd 2010, 12:40 pm

mummaof3andahalf wrote:
trucks shouldnt be trying to get thrugh a orange light if they know they have a full load and wouldnt be able to stop at a red light its not a hurry up light. he should have gotten a jail term he still took 2 young lives.

Driving through the city where the lights change very quickly easier said then done

Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 23rd 2010, 2:44 pm

i townsville we drive with two trailer semis through lights and yeh it is very hard for them. plus i have a friend who is a truck driver and some of the things he has witnessed and had happen is shocking.

On the main road i lived on we have three trailer semis go through the bypass and they have a lot of trouble pulling up at intersections without lights even. Following speed limits ect and there have been some horrific accidents due to them
Back to top Go down
mummaof3andahalf
Fabulous Member
Fabulous Member

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 23rd 2010, 2:51 pm

lights change fast is a poor excuse, he took to young lives and the punishment didnt reflect that at all. not all truckies are bad i know that but ive seen trucks doing 120 in highways when they are only meant to being doing 100. so if they speed of course they cant slow down can they.

its rare for me to even see good truck drivers and that speaks volumes to me.
Back to top Go down
~*sharon~*
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 23rd 2010, 3:44 pm

Actually it's a valid excuse and if they are speeding of course they shouldn't be my guess would be since he only got a light sentence he wasn't speeding or under the influence of drugs or alchohol and that the light hadn't been red for long and it was just a accident

A lot of trucks including Nathan's are speed limited 102kms is as fast as Nathan's will go on the flat anyway

Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 23rd 2010, 3:53 pm

Sharon my dads the same even though his trucks speed limited i think he only do 90-95

and the lights changing too fast is a very valid excuse i know even in my car sometimes they change too quick. and just think if they have 1-2 fully loaded trailers they not only have to stop the prime mover but those trailers plus they have the force of the loads working against them. and remember these loads arent just 100-200Kgs these can be Tonnes so its alot of added weight.

and yes while there are alot of truckies doing the wrong thing and speeding theres just as many in cars hooning around day after day, people talking on mobiles, lighting ciggies and changing cd's that all affect there ability to affectively watch whats going on around them.
Back to top Go down
~*sharon~*
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 23rd 2010, 4:20 pm

Nathan carries about 42 tonnes Shelley so it's a lot hey..

Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 24th 2010, 12:27 am

yep and its even harder to pull up when carrying live stock
Back to top Go down
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 24th 2010, 1:16 am

i was told carrying live stock is the hardest job. because uhave to take into account them all moving around and trying to get as little injury. Living in rural we have three trailers going through by passes which are through town and on main roads. They have 4 way intersections and also take into account podestrians. NOT FUN!!!! Our main bypasses are not around the outside of town (though they once were) but through streets. With us it is like three trailer semis going down a main road for u guys. So the same thing happens here only without lights. Where someone fails to stop or give way they will get hit by trucks.

He wouldnt have had time to stop if the lights just changed, and by the report he wasnt on drugs, speeding, drunk. If he was he would of been charged more. I really feel for him too becuase he has to live with that the rest of his life and also the family do
Back to top Go down
~*sharon~*
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 24th 2010, 2:24 am

Nathan carries liquids things like cooking oils sugar,starch,chocolate and when full it slosh's all over the joint so whatever he was carrying could have made it even harder to stop

And your right Kim he has to live with that now feel sad for everyone involved

Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 24th 2010, 3:41 am

Our road trains up here are some of the biggest in the country.

One of our compainies is called IES Keirnan Transport, they are just over 100mtrs long (around 110mtrs) four trailers long. They carried rocks and other things from mines to townsville, from the cape. They go down from the cape to here and then across to the port in townsville. When full u can imagine them trying to pull up.

It is completely amazing seeing the road trains up here. they dont travel bellow ayr.

So yes feel sorry for all involved. And btw those road trains DO travel through this town, passed schools and major intersections. One of our worst intersections has these trucks going through it and we have had some bad accidents due to them but lucky (touch wood) no deaths as of yet
Back to top Go down
chels03
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 24th 2010, 4:19 am

I think its stupid! They changed a few speeds down to 80kms here instead of 100kms when they get closer to the city simply because cars were struggling to pull up at some orange lights let alone trucks! Trucks trains etc all struggle to pull up! Im not a truck drivier but i know a few ppl that drive them! Until you know what they are capable or not capable of doing i dont think its fair to judge him!

Back to top Go down
~*sharon~*
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 24th 2010, 6:58 am

Well said Chels

Kim ~Off topic but Nathan is going to be getting his B double license soon god knows why it would be hard enough driving a semi
B-Doubles carry 70 or more tonne just to give you a idea what their load is

I suggest the truck haters and trust me there is heaps spend a day with one

Cars pulling out in front of them,cutting them off,parking in the unloading zone they put up with crap I tell you

It's a shame there is a few bad truckies that give the good ones a bad name

Oh and without trucks we wouldn't have very much no food for a start

Fabulous Member

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 24th 2010, 7:21 am

i am not a truck hater, far from it just the ones who flaunt the law like they dont have to obey road rules. i just think to young lives were taken he would of had a harsher punishment. my opinion and it wont change for any one so no need to even argue about it.
Back to top Go down
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 24th 2010, 12:10 pm

sharon B double is what u need for the ones here but omg they are huge
Back to top Go down
Tallis&LanesMummy
Dedicated Member

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 24th 2010, 2:07 pm

OMG you are sooo effing quick to judge mummaof3andahalf you know nothing about trucks and what its like in the life of a truck driver, this is evident on the posts you have made, go out on the road with one for a trip and you will see how many times they have to try and avoid accidents because of f'wit car drivers who have no sense when it comes to driving around trucks.

Some details of trucks:
it takes AT LEAST 100m for a fully loaded SINGLE trailer to pull up (approx 36 tonne, 24 tonne payload and the prime mover and trailer tare at about 12 tonne)
it takes AT LEAST 150m for a full loaded B-DOUBLE too pull up (this is between 70 and 90 tonne)
MOST SINGLE'S and B-DOUBLES can not go more than 100km on a flat, they are rated generally at 98km/h
ALL ROAD TRAINS are rated at 90km/h, this is the speed limit for them and they can't go faster

There are a few cowboy truck drivers out there who give the rest a bad name and that just isn't fair! i'm not going to say anymore because this is one subject that peeves me off!

as for the original post, it is very sad that he killed 2 children and injured 3 more as the FULL details of the accident weren't revealed then no one can judge the judgment handed down and the driver has a life long sentence that can never go away! in alot of cases like that the drivers don't ever go back to their profession because of what has happened!
Back to top Go down
http://ktlkbodyjewelry.com
mummaof3andahalf
Fabulous Member
Fabulous Member

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 24th 2010, 3:04 pm

Tallis&LanesMummy wrote:
OMG you are sooo effing quick to judge mummaof3andahalf you know nothing about trucks and what its like in the life of a truck driver, this is evident on the posts you have made, go out on the road with one for a trip and you will see how many times they have to try and avoid accidents because of f'wit car drivers who have no sense when it comes to driving around trucks.

Some details of trucks:
it takes AT LEAST 100m for a fully loaded SINGLE trailer to pull up (approx 36 tonne, 24 tonne payload and the prime mover and trailer tare at about 12 tonne)
it takes AT LEAST 150m for a full loaded B-DOUBLE too pull up (this is between 70 and 90 tonne)
MOST SINGLE'S and B-DOUBLES can not go more than 100km on a flat, they are rated generally at 98km/h
ALL ROAD TRAINS are rated at 90km/h, this is the speed limit for them and they can't go faster

There are a few cowboy truck drivers out there who give the rest a bad name and that just isn't fair! i'm not going to say anymore because this is one subject that peeves me off!

as for the original post, it is very sad that he killed 2 children and injured 3 more as the FULL details of the accident weren't revealed then no one can judge the judgment handed down and the driver has a life long sentence that can never go away! in alot of cases like that the drivers don't ever go back to their profession because of what has happened!

i can judge how ever i see fit thanks very much, i dont need a lesson in trucks in realist i can have my own f%^&ing opinion ive had trucks thinking they own the road NOT ALL drive safely just like im sure some car drivers don't. you dont know my life my ex step father was a truck mechanic ive driven in loads of trucks AND trucks with loads so you can take yourhostility towards me and shove it asfarasim concerned he took 2 lives how is that fair to the familyof the children!im not the onlyone that thinks so you dont have to be a truck lover to be on the truckers side.
Back to top Go down
seth_an_tylers_mum
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 24th 2010, 3:25 pm

ok ladies no fighting everyone has the right to their own opinions.

yes it is a major tradegy that 2 young lives were taken, but we dont know the full story the little bit of information that was reported here, makes it hard to fully judge, we dont know if there were any other contributing factors to this accidents, it didnt say if there was oil on the roads or if was raining or if the truck had brake problems or any other mechanical problems.

Alot of here have trucks in our blood and extremely very close to our hearts either through growing up with Dads driving or through partners driving. living the life of not knowing if or when they'll come home.

Yes i fully admit there are alot of reckless truckies who take drugs to stay awake and speed and do other silly things that not only puts there lives in danger but all other civilians on the roads, BUT there is just as many reckless car drivers who dont think and make it harder for everyone on the roads. My dad was nearly killed in 2000 by a car driver who was speeding and falling asleep at the wheel.

i have no idea where Lynbrook is but guessing that is in a town he'd only be allowed to have a single or b double.

My heart goes out to all the families hurt by this accident the parents who will never hold their babies again and to that truckie who will always hold himself accountable and to his family that will have to try and support him.
Back to top Go down
MissMon
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   June 24th 2010, 3:51 pm

THIS IS JUST A WARNING TO ALL.

PLEASE DO KEEP IN MIND THAT EVERYBODY HAS DIFFERENT VIEWS & OPINIONS ON THIS MATTER.
THERE IS TO BE NO SWEARING OR PERSONAL ATTACKS PLEASE!
WE DON'T NEED THREADS SUCH AS THIS TURNING INTO WHAT THIS ONE CLEARLY HAS!!

THIS THREAD WILL NOW BE LOCKED!

PostSubject: Re: Truckie avoids jail after killing boys   

Back to top Go down

Truckie avoids jail after killing boys
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1