Share | 

Baby shot dead in central Queensland

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 7th 2010, 6:12 am

Neighbours have told of hearing a gunshot and another neighbour's screams for help as he found a baby boy fatally shot and bleeding in a home in central Queensland.

The eight-month-old was found at his Gracemere home, near Rockhampton, after a man who had also been shot staggered to a neighbouring property for help.

Police are investigating whether Tuesday night's shootings are linked to a subsequent car crash that killed a 22-year-old woman.

The woman died after her vehicle hit a tree, 10km from the scene of the shootings.

The baby and the man, 36, were taken to Rockhampton Base Hospital, but the boy was pronounced dead on arrival.

The man has undergone surgery for a gunshot wound to the stomach and remains in a critical condition.

Neighbours in Zamia Way have told of hearing a gunshot and then screams for help when another neighbour discovered the baby bleeding on the floor of the home.

"We only heard one gunshot, but apparently there were more," Jodiee (Jodiee) Bennett, 35, who lives opposite the house where the shootings happened, told AAP.

"A man went in there and found the little fella on the floor.

"There was screaming and everything ... because someone had found the baby hurt. They were calling out to get an ambulance.

"They thought he had hit his head on the tiles, but apparently that was one of the gunshot wounds that the baby copped in the head."

She said her own three children were very upset.

"It's really freaked our kids out."

Ms Bennett said her husband, Tex, saw a utility truck being driven away from the home a short time after the gunshot was heard.

"My husband saw a ute backing away," she said.

Regional Crime Coordinator Jon Wacker said the neighbours had entered the house after seeing a woman leaving.

"Neighbours of the first residence had entered the dwelling after the female occupant had left and located a eight-month-old baby with a gunshot wound," he told the ABC.

Police say the car crash 10km from the house could be linked to the shootings.

They said the woman was critically injured when her vehicle hit a tree on Upper Dawson Road, in Rockhampton's south. She died in hospital.

Another neighbour, Lisa Willis, said she didn't know the people involved in the shooting, but she had often seen a woman and the child.

"We saw the mother walking the baby a lot, without the pram, just carrying the baby, with a rottweiler," she told AAP.

She said the shooting had come as a shock to the community, and most people in the street were staying indoors on Wednesday.

"It's a very quiet street. We don't have anything like that happen here," she told AAP. "We're in shock. It's a sad tragedy."

Police are hoping to speak to the injured man on Wednesday, as soon as his condition improves.

A major incident room has been set up at the Rockhampton police station.

The house has been cordoned off and a crime scene established. Forensic officers are combing the scene.

Back to top Go down
seth_an_tylers_mum
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 7th 2010, 6:19 am

omg
Back to top Go down
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 7th 2010, 6:39 am

it is terrible Sad how could anyone do that
Back to top Go down
JustGem
Fabulous Member
Fabulous Member

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 7th 2010, 7:05 am

thats so horrible
Back to top Go down
aprileviesmum
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 7th 2010, 9:44 am

Poor defenceless baby. RIP.
Back to top Go down
mummaof3andahalf
Fabulous Member
Fabulous Member

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 7th 2010, 10:17 am

poor baby how can any one shoot a harmless baby
Back to top Go down
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 7th 2010, 10:29 am

i cant believe someone can do that. how terrible
Back to top Go down
seth_an_tylers_mum
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 7th 2010, 10:37 am

Police have found a gun in a wrecked ute driven by a Queensland mother suspected of killing her baby son and wounding her former husband.

The woman, 22, died in hospital following the crash, which happened soon after the eight-month-old baby and a man were shot at a house at Gracemere, near Rockhampton, on Tuesday night.

Rockhampton police inspector John Wacker said a small handgun had been found in the ute the woman was driving.

The ute belonged to the injured 36-year-old man.

The woman sustained massive head injuries when the vehicle hit a tree on Upper Dawson Road, in Rockhampton's south at about 8pm (AEST), 10km from the shooting scene.

She died at Rockhampton Base Hospital hours later.

"A firearm was located at the crash scene," Insp Wacker told reporters on Wednesday.

"The local community is shocked at what has transpired at the address."

Insp Wacker said the mother and father divorced late last year.

Police have spoken to the injured man in hospital but would not comment on his version of events.

He is in a stable condition after undergoing surgery for a gunshot wound to the stomach, police said.

Police said a neighbour found the infant inside the Zamia Way home after the injured man staggered outside seeking help.

They said the baby was taken to the home of a neighbouring off-duty ambulance officer for treatment before paramedics arrived.

The baby was pronounced dead on arrival at hospital.

Other neighbours in the street have told of hearing a gunshot.

"We only heard one gunshot, but apparently there were more," Jodiee Bennett, 35, who lives opposite the house where the shootings happened, told AAP.

"A man went in there and found the little fella on the floor," he said.

"There was screaming and everything ... because someone had found the baby hurt. They were calling out to get an ambulance."

"They thought he had hit his head on the tiles, but apparently that was one of the gunshot wounds that the baby copped in the head."

Ms Bennett said her husband, Tex, saw a utility truck being driven away from the home a short time after the gunshot was heard.

Another neighbour, Lisa Willis, said the shooting had come as a shock to the community.

"It's a very quiet street. We don't have anything like that happen here," she told AAP. "We're in shock. It's a sad tragedy."

Dott Fechner, who knows the family, told AAP the community would rally around and support them at this difficult time.

"The community is very moved and very emotional," she said.

"It's a tragedy for a small community, and we will be asking ourselves whether there was something we could have done."

She said the wounded father had a couple of other children, worked in a mine out of town, played football and was well respected in the area.
Police are awaiting the results of a post mortem and are preparing a report for the state's coroner.
Back to top Go down
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 7th 2010, 11:10 am

OMG i thought it may have been the mother but i was really hoping it wasnt!!! That is terrible!!! How could she have done that to her own child? And was the baby shot by accident and she was actually aiming at the ex hubby???? I feel so sorry for both the families right now, the grandparents and the dad in particular. That is terrible!!!!
Back to top Go down
seth_an_tylers_mum
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 7th 2010, 12:24 pm

i know its heart breaking that she could have done something so stupid
Back to top Go down
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 7th 2010, 12:50 pm

it is terrible. So sad!!! I dont even want to think what dad is going through as well. Glad he survived though
Back to top Go down
MissMon
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 7th 2010, 1:04 pm

So very very sad. Gracemere is so very very quiet too Sad

Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 7th 2010, 3:05 pm

yeh i saw how small it was when we went to gladstone. So very tragic
Back to top Go down
MissMon
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 7th 2010, 3:43 pm

So I just seen the late news & they are saying it was in actual Rockhampton, yet when I was reading my Facebook all day today, my Rocky friends were saying it happened in Gracemere Neutral
None the less, wherever it happened, it is a utter tragedy for all involved.
RIP Baby Boy, RIP Mum & I do hope that Dad recovers as best he can.

Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 8th 2010, 2:08 am

A central Queensland woman suspected of shooting dead her baby and injuring her ex-husband was reportedly involved in a custody fight.

Jade Quilligan, 22, is believed to have shot her eight-month-old son and his father Lenny Comolatti at a home in Gracemere, near Rockhampton, before crashing a car into a tree at high speed.

Qulligan died of major head injuries yesterday morning.

There have been reports that she shot herself during the escape in the ute, believed to have belonged to Mr Comollatti.

Qulligan and Mr Comollatti, 36, divorced last year and had been fighting in the Family Court over custody of the baby and ownership of a house, the Courier Mail reports.

She is believed to have shot her son and Mr Comolatti during a dispute in the town on Tuesday night.

Mr Comolatti is recovering in hospital, suffering a gunshot wound to the stomach.

Neighbours in the street have told of hearing gunshots at around 7:50pm Tuesday night.

"We only heard one gunshot, but apparently there were more," Jodiee Bennett, 35, who lives opposite the house where the shootings happened, told AAP.

"A man went in there and found the little fella on the floor," he said.

"There was screaming and everything ... because someone had found the baby hurt. They were calling out to get an ambulance."

Another neighbour, Lisa Willis, said the shooting had come as a shock to the community.

"It's a very quiet street. We don't have anything like that happen here," she said.

Dott Fechner, who knows the family said the community would rally around and support them at this difficult time.

"The community is very moved and very emotional," she said.

"It's a tragedy for a small community, and we will be asking ourselves whether there was something we could have done."

She said the wounded father had a couple of other children, worked in a mine out of town, played football and was well respected in the area.

Police are awaiting the results of a post mortem and are preparing a report for the state's coroner.

Back to top Go down
MissMon
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 8th 2010, 10:41 am

Sad Sad Such a tragedy!!!!
And I hate to hear this was all because of a custody battle Sad

Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 8th 2010, 11:51 am

appears that way :'( poor bub died for no real good reason. RIP little man
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 9th 2010, 11:36 am

the poor child was the innocent victim in this.

just so sad.
Back to top Go down
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 9th 2010, 12:44 pm

i am wondering though, could she have accidently gotten him when trying to get hubby? Just odd that he was shot in the head and dad was in the stomach????? hmmmm guessing they will never know now. Doesnt make it less of a sad thing that something like this happens, but it is a thought i have in my head and have done since i first heard about it. So tragic Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 9th 2010, 2:12 pm

Omg!! what horrible news Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Fabulous Member
Fabulous Member

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland   July 10th 2010, 5:44 pm

so sad Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baby shot dead in central Queensland