Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

Children should be kept in rear-facing seats

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
chocochip

PostSubject: Children should be kept in rear-facing seats   June 12th 2009, 4:38 am

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25624634-23109,00.html

PARENTS should keep their children in rear-facing car seats at least until the age of four, according to a British study.
At present, it is common practice in many countries to switch babies to front-facing seats when a child is about nine kilograms, the average weight of an eight-month-old boy.

British general physician Elizabeth Watson and Michael Monteiro of Sunny Meed Surgery in Woking, near London, reviewed key studies from Europe and the United States to see if any safety patterns emerged.

They found that small children were consistently safer in a car when they were looking where they have been rather than where they were headed.

"Parents and guardians should be advised to keep young children in rear-facing seats for as long as possible," the two researchers concluded.

"Excessive stretching or even transection (cutting) of the spinal cord can result if a child is involved in a head-on crash while in a forward-facing car seat."

Data from Sweden - where rear-facing seats for kids up to four is the norm - showed that some children in forward-facing booster seats who died in accidents could have survived had they been facing the other way round.

A review of US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration data on crashes between 1998 and 2003 involving 870 children concluded that rear-facing seats were better at protecting kids up to 23 months across all types of accidents.

Unlike forward-facing seats, rear-facing car seats keep the head, neck and spine fully aligned so the force of the crash is distributed over all of these body areas, noted the study, published on the website of the British Medical Journal.

The researchers called on manufacturers and retailers to increase the availability of rear-facing seats for older children.

They also called for a change to the current weight-range labelling of European seats, which suggest that forward- and rear-facing seats are equally safe for kids over nine kilos.

Read and post cruise reviews
Back to top Go down
http://bbq&beer@myplace.now
chels03
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Children should be kept in rear-facing seats   June 12th 2009, 5:07 am

hrmm how would u fit a child in them??? their legs would be squashed wouldnt they???

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Children should be kept in rear-facing seats   June 14th 2009, 1:17 pm

your think the child would be anti about that and when i was a kid i was car sick if i wasnt looking out the windscreen. just sound to uncomfie for the child to me
Hugs Kirst
Back to top Go down
~*Kat*~
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Children should be kept in rear-facing seats   June 14th 2009, 1:39 pm

I agree the only resons we turned Bethany around 9 months old was cos she was getting too tall for it to be backwards she was kicking the crap out of the back seat cos she was frustrated and she would cry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Children should be kept in rear-facing seats   June 15th 2009, 12:23 pm

Ashton was getting too big to face backwards also. I reckon it'd be hard to keep a kid happy if they had to sit that way til they were 4!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Children should be kept in rear-facing seats   June 16th 2009, 8:41 am

Yea my kids got to big to quick to keep facing backwards.
Joe was facing forwards at about 5 months cause he was a big boy and Phoebe at 6 months
Back to top Go down
aprileviesmum
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Children should be kept in rear-facing seats   June 17th 2009, 9:25 am

Its supposed to be a lot safer for them to be backwards facing cause if you are hit all the force goes into there back and they are kinda cushioned.
My two loved it when they were finally facing forwards cuz they could look around and see things better !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Children should be kept in rear-facing seats   June 17th 2009, 10:36 am

there is no way in hell that kayla would fit in a rear facing car seat. She is just too tall.

I'm going to keep miles in rear facing for as long as I can as well.
Back to top Go down
MissMon
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Children should be kept in rear-facing seats   June 17th 2009, 1:01 pm

aprileviesmum wrote:

My two loved it when they were finally facing forwards cuz they could look around and see things better !

Mine were the exact same too..

Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Children should be kept in rear-facing seats   June 17th 2009, 3:00 pm

Are they completely insane????

Sean was facing the front, the min he could sit by himself at 6mths old.

But a 4yr old facing backwards, they'll have to cut holes in the seats to fit their legs in.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Children should be kept in rear-facing seats   June 17th 2009, 5:04 pm

I agree with everything you have all said. I liked the holes in the seats one tho, it would be funny in a mini van with holes in the seats if the kids were in the middle coz who ever was in the very back tickle thier feet. hehe
Back to top Go down
chels03
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Children should be kept in rear-facing seats   June 18th 2009, 2:52 am

LMAO @ getting feet tickled LOL hahahahahaha oh god that gave me ideas lol jk

Back to top Go down
MissMon
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Children should be kept in rear-facing seats   June 18th 2009, 3:29 pm

Lizzy wrote:

But a 4yr old facing backwards, they'll have to cut holes in the seats to fit their legs in.

PostSubject: Re: Children should be kept in rear-facing seats   

Back to top Go down

Children should be kept in rear-facing seats
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1