Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

Toughen up and endure the pain of childbirth, midwife says

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
chocochip

PostSubject: Toughen up and endure the pain of childbirth, midwife says   July 14th 2009, 3:00 am

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25778548-5001021,00.html

MEN are unable to give birth but one man is boldly claiming that women must toughen up and suffer the pain of childbirth.

British midwife Dr Denis Walsh has sparked controversy over his claims mums are taking the easy way out of childbirth by having epidurals and pain-relieving drugs.

He believes that women should endure the agony of labour, which is a rite of passage for building a special bond with the child.

Australian birthing experts have called his comments "dangerous."

While more women are relying on pain relief instead of opting for a natural birth, "there is a time and place" for epidurals, Associate Professor Hannah Dahlen of the Australian College of Midwives said.

"There is normal pain and abnormal pain. When women are having long hard labour there are times that . . . an epidural is required," she said.

"I would not want to say that having epidurals stops a special bond. The only evidence we have are animal studies."

Figures reveal that 91,315 women in NSW had some sort of pain relief, including nitrous oxide and epidurals, in 2006.

Fewer women are choosing to have natural births but those who do opt for pain-relief should not be criticised, Ms Dahlen said.

"She is not a bad mother or not a strong woman," she said.

"What makes a difference is support around a women which enables them to cope with pain.

"You leave a woman alone because you have other patients and she is going to be afraid.

"Fear increases the release of adrenalin, which impacts on endorphins - a scared woman is more likely to have an epidural."

According to the British doctor, too many women have an epidural because celebrities and movies portray pain relief as normal.

In his article, Dr Walsh warns that normal birth is in danger of being "effectively anaesthetised by the epidural epidemic".

"Over recent decades there has been a loss of the 'rites of passage' meaning to childbirth, so that pain and stress are viewed negatively," Dr Walsh said. "A large number of women want to avoid pain.

"Some just don't fancy the pain (of childbirth)." He urged women to use yoga, hypnosis and massage to overcome pain. The comments were published in a journal produced for the Royal College of Midwives in the UK.

The president of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, Ted Weaver, said the comments were "offensive."

"I think it's drawing a long bow to say that people don't bond well with their child," Dr Weaver said.

"Some women ask for an epidural and don't end up getting one.

"Research shows support from midwives can actually reduce the need (for pain relief)."

Read and post cruise reviews
Back to top Go down
http://bbq&beer@myplace.now
chels03
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

PostSubject: Re: Toughen up and endure the pain of childbirth, midwife says   July 14th 2009, 3:56 am

this is really stupid
ive had 3 children ALL 3 were drug free births BUT in saying that with portia and alek i didnt form a 'close bond' straight away anyway SO seriously what a moron drugs or no drugs i honestly dont think it makes a difference
had my labours of been longer then i wouldve had pain relief (was insistant id do it without but i highly doubt i wouldve coped very well had they been long labours) n what happens to ppl that have harsh nasty births? im sure u are going to enjoy the birth of ur baby and most likely bond better if ur labour isnt that painful!!!!
this statement is pathetic would love to see ANY male go through labour WITHOUT painrelief
my longest was under 4 hours hence why i didnt need any but seriously pain relief or no pain relief makes no difference
n comparing us to animals LMAO seriously if animals were as smart as us we wouldnt exist we would all of been eaten before we got the chance to eat them

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Toughen up and endure the pain of childbirth, midwife says   July 14th 2009, 7:10 am

if i didnt have pain management joe i wldnt of been able to have him i had so mny complications...
this midwife dude should push a watermelon out his pee pee whole then we will see if he wants pain relief
Back to top Go down
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Toughen up and endure the pain of childbirth, midwife says   July 14th 2009, 10:03 am

it is stupid!!!!!

I had my three girls without pain relief (skye i had gas and morphine but the other two i had nothing) and it made no difference to my relationship with them. SKye i bonded with straight away and same with brianna but i didnt with caitlin. Had my labours been longer i would of had pain relief. And yes left alone a female does feel scared and her pain tolarence drops. Maybe they should focus on teaching the women that breathing and remembering to breath can help with pain rather then saying do it without pain relief. Teach expanctant mums that there are ways within ourselves to help ourselves with the pain. I forgot to breath with skye and held my breath through the pain and when i did remember to breath the pain decreased. A tacktic i then used with caitlin and brianna. Stop critasising mums for the way they do things we have enough preasure without it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Toughen up and endure the pain of childbirth, midwife says   July 14th 2009, 12:04 pm

what an A**.. maybe they should get him to do a simulation of birth (like they did somewhere else, and the doctor could only go 4hours before asking for an epi).
Back to top Go down
MissMon
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Toughen up and endure the pain of childbirth, midwife says   July 14th 2009, 3:55 pm

Matilda wrote:
what an A**.. maybe they should get him to do a simulation of birth (like they did somewhere else, and the doctor could only go 4hours before asking for an epi).

My thoughts too! That midwife IS a frighead!

PostSubject: Re: Toughen up and endure the pain of childbirth, midwife says   July 25th 2009, 10:28 am

Could slap him down!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toughen up and endure the pain of childbirth, midwife says   

Back to top Go down

Toughen up and endure the pain of childbirth, midwife says
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1